Grilled Steak and Romaine Salad with Coconut Dressing Recipe
October 17, 2016
- 1/2cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 2tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1teaspoon fish sauce
- 2teaspoons sugar
- Neutral oil
- 1/2pound hanger, skirt, or flank steak (see notes above)
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 2heads romaine lettuce
- 1/2cucumber, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced into half moons or julienned
- 4 to 5scallions, ends trimmed
- 3/4cup fresh herbs; a mix of cilantro and mint is nice
- In a small bowl, stir together the coconut milk, lime juice, fish sauce, and sugar. Taste. If you like more fish sauce flavor, add another teaspoon.
- Preheat grill to high. Coat lightly with neutral oil. Grill steak for 2 to 3 minutes a side, depending on thickness and on desired doneness. Season generously with salt and pepper to taste while steak is on the grill. Transfer steak to board to rest. Leave grill on.
- Meanwhile chop one head of romaine into 1-inch pieces (roughly) and transfer to a large salad bowl. Halve the remaining head through the core. Lightly re-oil the grill. Transfer each romaine half to the grill, cut side down, along with the scallions. Grill vegetables for about a minute, just until lightly charred. Transfer to cutting board. Roughly chop the romaine into 1-inch pieces. Chop the scallions into 1/2-inch pieces. Transfer vegetables to salad bowl.
- When steak has rested for 10 minutes, slice it thinly and transfer to salad bowl. Add herbs and half of the dressing. Toss. Taste. Add more dressing to taste and season with salt if necessary. Toss and serve.