Garlic Grilled Chicken Recipe
July 19, 2016
- 2 quarts water
- 1/2 cup kosher salt plus 3/4 teaspoons divided
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 lemon, cut in half
- 10 cloves garlic peeled
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- 1/4 cup avocado (or canola) oil
- 1 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 8 – 10 chicken drumsticks
- Combine 1 quart water, 1/2 cup kosher salt and brown sugar together in a pot. Heat over medium heat just until the sugar and salt dissolve. Pour in remaining quart of cold water. Add in lemon, garlic cloves, 1 tablespoon granulated garlic and whole peppercorns. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Place chicken in a one gallon resealable plastic bag. Place bag inside a large bowl.
- Pour brine over the top of chicken, seal and refrigerate for at least 2 hours but not more than 4.
- Prepare grill for indirect heat and heat to 425 degrees.
- Rinse and pat dry the chicken.
- Combine avocado oil, remaining salt, granulated garlic and black pepper. Use a pastry brush and brush all over chicken.
- Cook chicken skin side down, for 5 minutes. Reduce heat down to 350. Continue cooking chicken for 10 minutes or until it easily releases from the grill. Flip and continue cooking for another 10 – 15 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted reads 165 degrees and the juices run clear. Serve.