- 1 1/2 – 2 pounds flank steak, pounded thin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoons lquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- To a small plastic bag (or sealable container), add Spice Mix and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Add Marinade Ingredients to a large freezer bag and whisk to combine. Add 3 tablespoons Spice Mix to Marinade and whisk to combine. Add steak and seal bag, removing excess air. Marinate in the refrigerator 4 hours up to overnight.
- When ready to grill, mix remaining Spice Mix with 2 tablespoons olive oil to create a Spice Rub.
- Discard marinade and pat steaks dry with paper towel (just so steak is not wet, not to remove marinade/spices). Rub steak evenly all over with Spice Rub and let rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Grease and preheat grill to medium-high heat. Grill steak for 7 to 10 minutes per side, turning once, for medium-rare. For medium or medium well, continue cooking steak over indirect flame for an additional 5-10 minutes per side, depending on thickness.
- Remove steak and let rest 10 minutes before thinly slicing against the grain on a diagonal.