Grilled Eggplant Salad Recipe
June 24, 2016
FOR THE SALAD:
- 1 medium Eggplant, cut into 1″ thick rounds
- Oil for grilling
- Salt & Pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Tender Salad Mix (red butter lettuce, spinach, etc.)
- 1 small Cucumber, cut into small wedges (use a zester to get those decorative lines)
- 1/2 C Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans)
- Whole Cherry or Campari Tomatoes
- Lemon Wedges, for garnish
- Parsley, for garnish
FOR THE LIGHT ITALIAN DRESSING:
- 1 Tbl Garlic Salt
- 1 Tbl Onion powder
- 1 Tbl White Sugar
- 2 Tbl Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Dried Thyme
- 1 tsp Dried Basil
- 1 Tbl Dried Parsley
- 1/4 tsp Celery Salt
- 2 Tbl Salt
- 1/4 C White Vinegar
- 2/3 C Canola Oil
- 2 Tbl Water
- To make the dressing, in a small bowl, mix together the garlic salt, onion powder, sugar, oregano, pepper, thyme, basil, parsley, celery salt and regular salt. Store in a tightly sealed container. (THIS WILL MAKE MORE THAN YOU NEED FOR THE RECIPE – SAVE IT FOR ANOTHER BATCH OF DRESSING).
- To prepare dressing, whisk together 1/4 cup white vinegar, 2/3 cup canola oil, 2 tablespoons water and ONLY 2 tablespoons of the dry mix.
- Arrange the lettuce mix on a large salad plate.
- Add 1/2 C of chickpeas, 1/2 C or so of cucumber wedges and whole tomatoes.
- On a hot grill (or grill pan) lightly oil 1″ thick slices of eggplant and season with paprika, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Repeat on other side. Be sure to have the grill hot enough, you want those grill marks! Cut the eggplant into wedges.
- Arrange the eggplant in the center of the plate and garnish with lemon wedges and fresh parsley.
- Lastly, using the residual heat of the grill, lightly brush the pita with oil and sprinkle with paprika. Grill for just a few minutes. Serve immediately.