Cilantro-and-Lime Marinated Chicken Fajita Kebabs Recipe
June 7, 2016
- 1/2 cup packed coarsely chopped cilantro leaves and tender stems
- 1/3 cup lime juice from about 6 limes
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 medium cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes (see note above)
- 1 large red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large white onion, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes and separated into 3-layer segments
- Wooden skewers, soaked in water for at least 30 minutes prior to use
Place cilantro, lime juice, olive oil, garlic, brown sugar, salt, cumin, and crushed red pepper in the jar of blender. Pureé until smooth. Place chicken cubes in a large resealable plastic bag. Pour in marinade and seal bag, removing as much air as possible. Place in refrigerator and marinate for at least 1 and up to 5 hours.
Thread chicken onto skewers, alternating with pepper and onion squares.
Light one chimney full of charcoal. When all charcoal is lit and covered with gray ash, pour out and spread the coals evenly over entire surface of coal grate. Set cooking grate in place, cover grill and allow to preheat for 5 minutes. Clean and oil the grilling grate. Grill skewers until well browned on all sides and center of chicken registers between 160-165°F on an instant read thermometer, 3-4 minutes per side. Transfer skewers to platter and let rest for 5 minutes. Serve immediately.