- 2, 1lb bone-in strip steaks cut 1-1/2″ thick (or your steak of choice)
- grapeseed or vegetable oil
For the Steak Seasoning:
- 3/4 Tablespoon rock salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
For the Herb Butter:
- Big pinch steak seasoning
- 1 stick salted butter (1/2 cup,) softened to room temperature
- 1 Tablespoon finely minced fresh rosemary
- 1 Tablespoon finely minced fresh thyme
- 2 Tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 garlic clove, pressed or minced
- For the Steak Seasoning: Add ingredients to a mortar and pestle then coarsely grind. Alternatively, add ingredients to a heavy duty Ziplock bag, squeeze all the air out, then crush ingredients with a meat pounder, rolling pin, or heavy bottomed skillet.
- For the Herb Butter: Add ingredients to a bowl then stir with a fork to combine. Scoop herb butter onto a sheet of plastic wrap wrap then shape into a thick log and refrigerate until firm (if time is of the essence you can freeze for 20-30 minutes.) Can be done ahead of time.
- For the steaks: Trim steaks of any big hunks of fat to avoid flare ups on the grill then pat dry with a paper towel. Drizzle each side lightly with oil then season generously with the steak seasoning and rub into steaks – you should use most if not all of the seasoning.
- Light 2/3 or 1/2 of your grill burners (2 of 3 burners, or 1 of 2 burners) then heat on high for 10-15 minutes. Add steaks then sear on each side for 1-1/2 minutes (adjust accordingly if your steaks are bigger or smaller than 1lb cut 1-1/2″ thick,) keeping the lid closed when not flipping. Transfer steaks to unlit portion of grill then continue cooking for 7-10 minutes with the lid closed for medium, or until they’ve reached your preferred level of doneness. Remove steaks to a platter then let rest for at least 5 minutes. Top with herb butter slices then serve.