Shrimp & Chorizo Skewers Recipe
May 25, 2016
- 18 large shrimp or prawns, shelled and deveined
- 1 link cured chorizo sausage, cut into ~1/8 inch rounds*
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 bay leaves, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ lemon, cut into wedges
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine smoked paprika, bay, olive oil, pepper and garlic. Add shrimp and marinate for 20 minutes. If you are using wooden skewers, let them soak in some cool water while the shrimp marinates- this will help them stand up to the heat of the barbecue when cooking.
- Assemble your skewers, artfully spearing one shrimp followed by one round of sausage, so that when the shrimp cooks, it coils around the sausage. The number of shrimp-sausage combos you put on each skewer will determine how many skewers you make in total- I like to spear 3 pairs on each wooden skewer, giving me 6 skewers (enough to feed 2 people well, or 3 people as part of a meal with multiple sides). This recipe can be easily scaled up.
- Grill on a hot barbecue for 1-2 minutes a side, until the shrimp are pink and the sausage has plumped up. Serve with fresh lemon wedges.