- 1 avocado, diced
- ⅓ medium cantaloupe or other sweet, ripe melon, diced
- 1-3” piece cucumber, diced
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- ½ -1 jalapeno, finely chopped (remove seeds and start with lesser amount if less heat is desired)
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 ½ tbsp finely chopped fresh mint (or cilantro or basil leaves)
- salt and pepper
- 1 skin-on salmon filet, (approx. 1 1/2 lbs)
- vegetable oil, for grill grates
To make salsa:
- Toss all ingredients together in a medium bowl, starting with the lesser amount of jalapeno and adding more to taste (some are very hot, others are more mild). Season to taste with pinches salt and a bit of pepper. Set aside.
To grill salmon:
- Preheat grill on high heat and oil grates. Season salmon generously with salt and pepper. Grill, skin-side up, for 5 minutes with lid closed. Carefully flip the fish (I use two metal spatulas), close lid, and cook an additional 2-4 minutes, until a paring knife inserted in the thickest part reveals the fish is mostly opaque, with just a trace of translucent, darker colour flesh in the centre (it’ll continue cooking a bit off of the grill). Transfer to a serving platter and top with salsa.