Grilled Vegetable Quesadillas with Kale Pesto Recipe
April 23, 2016
- 1 zucchini, sliced into ¼-inch thick slices
- 1 small eggplant, diagonally sliced into ¼-inch slices
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and quartered
- 1 small red onion, sliced into ¼-inch rounds
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fine grain salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups grated cheese (Monterey Jack is the best)
- 4 large tortillas or 8 small ones
- 4 tablespoons kale pesto
- 2 teaspoons butter, divided
- freshly chopped parsley (or cilantro)
- Place vegetables on a large platter, drizzle with two tablespoons of olive and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a grill or a grill pan to medium-high (if you’re using an outdoor grill lightly oil the grill grates).
- Grill vegetables, turning frequently, until tender and slightly charred, about 4 minutes for the onion and 7 minutes for the eggplant, zucchini, and red bell pepper.
- Transfer vegetables to a cutting board and let cool for about 5 minutes. Cut into into roughly 1½-inch pieces and set aside.
- In a large skillet sizzle ½ teaspoon of butter over medium-low heat.
- Lay a tortilla, then build the quesadillas by spreading 1 tablespoon of pesto, then by laying some grated cheese on the tortilla, and then arranging some of the grilled veggies. Sprinkle a little more grated cheese and top with a second tortilla.
- When the tortilla is golden, carefully flip the quesadilla to the other side, adding another ½ teaspoon butter to the skillet at the same time. Continue cooking until the second side is golden.
- Repeat with the remaining tortillas and fillings.
- Cut each quesadilla into wedges and serve.