Mediterranean Grilled Chicken with Dill Greek Yogurt Sauce Recipe
April 19, 2016
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup chopped fresh dill, stems removed
- 1¼ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Juice of ½ lemon or lime
- Pinch cayenne pepper, optional
- Salt, if needed
- 10 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp allspice
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground green cardamom
- Salt and pepper
- 5 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 medium size red onion, sliced
- Juice of 1-2 lemons
- First make the dill Greek yogurt sauce. Combine the minced garlic, fresh dill, yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice and cayenne pepper in a food processor. Run the food processor until all the ingredients are well blended and a smooth thick sauce or dip develops. Test and add salt if needed. Transfer to a small bowl or container, cover and refrigerate for at least one hour or until ready to use.
- In a small bowl, mix together the minced garlic, spices and 3 tbsp olive oil. Pat the chicken thighs dry and rub each with the garlic-spice mixture.
- Place the spiced chicken thighs in a large tray on a bed of sliced red onions with lemon juice and the remaining 2 tbsp olive oil. Cover and refrigerate for 2-4 hours or overnight.
- When ready, heat a gas grill to medium-high. Place the chicken thighs on the grill. Cover for 5-6 minutes, then turn the chicken over and grill for another 5-6 minutes covered.
- Serve with a side of the dill Greek yogurt dip you prepared earlier!
- To complete this light meal, add Greek potatoes or pita bread and a salad like Fattoush Salad.