Grilled Chicken and Quinoa Burrito Bowls with Avocado Salsa Recipe
February 20, 2017
- 1 1/2 cups dry quinoa*
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp ancho chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 2/3 cups frozen corn, warmed (optional)
- 1 (14.5 oz) can black beans, warmed along with liquid from the can then drained (optional)
- Mexican blend cheese or queso fresco (optional)
- Plain Greek yogurt or light sour cream (optional)
- 3 medium roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 1/2 medium avocados, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion, rinsed
- 1 jalapeño, seeded for less heat if desired and minced**
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- In a medium saucepan stir together quinoa and chicken broth. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat then cover, reduce heat to medium-low and allow to simmer for 15 minutes or until broth has been absorbed. Remove from heat and let rest 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a grill (or indoor grill, panini press, or cook over the stove in a grill pan) to 425 degrees. In a small bowl whisk together ancho chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and 3/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Pound chicken breasts to even out their thickness using the flat side of meat mallet. Brush both sides with the 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil then season both sides of chicken with the chili powder mixture (use all of it). Grill chicken until center registers 165 degrees on an instant read thermometer, about 4 minutes per side (or about 4 minutes total if using an indoor electric grill or panini press set at high heat or sear). Transfer chicken to a plate, cover and let rest 5 minutes then cut into pieces, season with more salt to taste if desired.
- While the chicken is resting, prepare avocado salsa. In a medium mixing bowl gently toss together tomatoes, avocados, red onion, jalapeno, garlic, lime juice, olive oil, cilantro and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To assemble burrito bowls, divide quinoa among serving bowls. Top with chicken, corn, black beans, cheese, avocado salsa and Greek yogurt. Serve immediately.
- *Rinse quinoa under water in a sieve if it’s not listed on the package that it’s pre-rinsed.
- **If you don’t like spicy food just omit the jalapeño, replace it with 1/4 cup finely chopped bell pepper if desired.